The Applegates

The Applegates

Sunday, July 28, 2013

Marriage... my call to sainthood.

I can still remember the look on his face and the tears in his eyes as I walked down the isle towards him. It's hard to believe that a year has passed since I was rushing out of the house in the pouring rain trying to make it to the church on time. I remember being overwhelmed when I heard my flowers would not be arriving because the florist was flooded in and could not make it out of her driveway. I remember my bridesmaids circling around me to pray and reminding me that nothing else mattered except the man waiting for me at the alter. I remember Father John telling me how beautiful I looked and praying a special blessing over me before I left the bride's room. My memories continue through the Mass and into the evening; surrounded by all of my family and loved ones. It was a day that was better than anything I could have dreamed of and filled with more love than one can put into words. 

There are no earthly guarantees when you approach that alter. No guarantee for a life of riches or comfort. No guarantee for perfect health or perfect children. No guarantee that there won't be difficult days and moments of frustration. Instead there are promises you make to one another.  Vows to love in times of sickness and health, for richer or poorer. Vows to honor and love each other for the rest of our lives. This is serious stuff and I love the intensity that it demands from us. This vocation calls us to die to self for love of the other. Marriage isn't suppose to be easy because becoming a saint isn't easy. Marriage is filled with trials and struggle, but at the same time overflowing with love, laughter, and copious amounts of joy! This last year has been an incredible time of loving, listening, forgiving, asking, laughing, crying, dancing, reminding, and continuing to push one another towards heaven. God has reminded me that He wants me to be a saint. He wants me to be purified, humbled, and open to receiving His grace. And marriage is how He plans to do it. I am humbled and overwhelmed that God has given me Josh and that I am forever his bride. 

To celebrate this first year, Josh and I decided to spend a night in Denver and a night in Estes Park. Josh received a generous gift card for a steak restaurant in Denver that we've been saving for a special occasion, so we decided this was the perfect opportunity. We went to our hotel early to use the roof top pool and then get ready for dinner. The steaks we had were probably some of the best steaks we've ever eaten in our lives. This is a big deal... we are from Texas and we both grew up on steaks, so we know a good one when we taste it! 

The next day we made our way to Estes Park to play for the day and then stay the night at the historic Stanley Hotel. Josh and I played three dollar put put, and laughed until I cried. It was seriously hysterical joking back and forth and Josh taking ridiculous pictures of my protruding belly as I leaned over to put. It was probably one of the best dates we've had and it was only six dollars! After that we went to the local fishing hole to kill some time before we could check into our hotel room. Again, there was more laughter as we used this terrible little fishing pole that Josh and I couldn't cast to save our life. To make matters more interesting, we didn't catch anything, and it was a stocked pond. Needless to say it was quite the adventure and really fun to be outdoors with the beautiful views of Estes.  

That evening we walked around the town, went out to get a pizza, and ate dinner in our hotel room. Then we sat out on the big beautiful patio that wraps around the front of the Stanley and ate chocolate covered strawberries and sipped on a bottle of wine that Josh gave me on our wedding day. It was perfect. We topped off the night at the Stanley Hotel bar where Josh was given six different whiskey tastings, some of the best he has ever tried. If you know my husband, you know his love of whiskey, so this was an extra special treat for him! 

The next day we packed a picnic lunch and went to one of the nearby lakes in Estes to enjoy the mountain views and our final hours of the anniversary trip. Josh made friends with a few of the chipmunks who were very happy he was willing to share our loaf of bread with them. It was a wonderful afternoon and a perfect ending to the perfect getaway. 

Here are a few of the pictures from the trip, hope you enjoy! 

Love, 
Josh, Lisa, and Baby Apples







 Sitting poolside at our hotel... roof top pool!



Anniversary dinner at Elway's Restaurant


One of our wedding gifts was a personalized bottle of champaign to share on our first anniversary.... I took little sips :)


Breakfast at Snooze before heading to Estes Park

Love the whisky... especially when is local!


Showing Josh who is boss when it comes to put put...

And then he got a hole in one... 

Fishing... my 34 week belly in all its glory :)

checking out the historical info on the Stanley Hotel

Josh jammin out at a local Estes coffee shop.... I could listen to him all day. 

On the porch of the Stanley Hotel, enjoying the views and... 

the chocolate covered strawberries....so good!

the front view of the Stanley. It is really a beautiful hotel. 


We decided to wake up at 5:30am the next morning to catch the sunrise over the mountains. 


It was beautiful... 


... and definitely worth waking up for.  


One of Josh's new friends.


Our picnic view... life is good! 

At the lake enjoying our picnic. 

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful post, Lisa!

    Congratulations on your anniversary! May there be many, many, MANY more!

    ReplyDelete