The Applegates

The Applegates

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Fourth of July, Surprise visits, and Baby's Room

It's hard to believe that July is already here! It seems like yesterday Josh and I found out we were pregnant, and now we are entering into the home stretch! 

It's fun living in a smaller city when it comes to holidays like the Fourth of July. The whole city comes out for the parade, and there are kids everywhere! We are living in the perfect community to raise  a family. In as much as Fort Collins is a college town, it is also family oriented and kid friendly. Our dear friends, the Leyendeckers, invited us to go to the Fourth of July parade in Old Town. We all piled into their suburban, picked up some coffee along the way, and made our way to the 'finish line' of the parade. This was the first year that Fort Collins organized a Fourth of July parade, so it was a bit unorganized and there was definitely some timing issues as we waited for each float to make its appearance. Never the less, it was lots of fun to go with the kids and watch them enjoy the festivities. 

Lisa Leyendecker is 6 weeks ahead of me in pregnancy, so it has been fun sharing the joys and difficulties of pregnancy with a friend in Fort Collins. We are really blessed with the friendship of Lisa and her husband John. John is the FOCUS Team Director for Colorado State University, so he and Josh work closely in building the campus ministry program at Blessed John XXIII. John and Josh are two peas in a pod, which is a good thing because these two are always together! 

After the parade, Josh and I went down to Denver to see some of our Denver friends and have diner at the Nepil's house. Fr. John Nepil is the priest that married Josh and I, so seeing him is always a treat! Spending the evening laughing with good friends and taking joy in stories and good food made for the perfect ending to another wonderful Fourth of July. 


Josh told Lisa and I to 'look pregnant' in this photo, to which I replied, "Josh, this is as good as it gets!" ... Love my husband :) 


Four of the six Leyendecker kids 


Number 5 is sweet little Lucy. We love these kids! 


Looking patriotic :)


our little one


33 1/2 weeks along



About a month ago I received a facebook message that one of my dear college friends, Chris Kellerman, was spending a month in Denver as part of his Jesuit Novitiate. The last time I saw Chris was when I left Lubbock in 2010. It's been a joy to share our vocation stories with one another and to see where the Lord has taken each of us in these past three years. When Chris first entered the novitiate, Josh had just proposed to me. Now as Josh and I await the arrival of our little girl in August, Chis will be taking his first vows. I'm grateful he was able to make the trip up to Fort Collins for dinner, and that he was finally able to meet Josh.  I am so proud of this man for following God's call and I'm so blessed to have him as a friend! 





In other news, we are finally finished with the baby's room! It feels incredible to know that we have a little space just for her and we are ready to welcome her home whenever she decides to arrive. Preparing the room was really fun since we bought everything off Craig's List, garage sales, and resale shops. My favorite part of her room is the large crucifix above her crib. I know it will be a good reminder for me when I'm tired, when I've changed a million dippers, and when the baby just won't stop crying. This is my calling, my vocation. Motherhood. Christ constantly reminds me that I am called to die to myself, especially in these remaining weeks of pregnancy. I can't wait to hold her, to see her little face for the first time, and to share her name with the rest of the world.  :)

We decided on a vintage turquoise look, and I love the way it turned out! 


He gave me a smile for this picture.. but he was definitely ready to have the crib finished at this point!




This last picture was taken at my going away work party. At least I thought it was a going away party until I walked in the door and saw the decorations! Josh had no idea, because the staff ladies were smart and decided to keep it a secret from him as well. It was a lovely party with food, gifts, and fellowship. I am extremely blessed to have worked at this parish for three years, and I will miss being in the office with such a wonderful staff. God is good and we are excited for the adventure ahead!


Love, 
Josh, Lisa, and Baby Apples 

1 comment:

  1. You are adorable, and you're going to make such a great mama! Your excitement is contagious. :-)

    (Also, I looveee that sweet picture of my little goddaughter. Wish I could give all of them hugs.)

    ReplyDelete